This recipe makes a ton! Seriously, if your family is 4 and under, maybe cut the recipe in half.
What you need....
- 2 pounds of ground turkey
- 2 jalapeno pepper (minced)
- 1 red onions (diced)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- 12 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 3 teaspoons Garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons Chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Paprika
- 8 dried pasilla chili peppers
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cans Black beans in the juice
- 3 cans Pinto Beans in the juice
- 2 cans Kidney Beans in the juice
- 3 cups Tomato Sauce
- 1/3 cup of Tomato Paste
- 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth
What you do....
First, you need to re-hydrate the pasilla chili peppers for about 30 minutes in hot water. Although these are a sweeter hot pepper, don't let that fool you. Wear gloves when handling these peppers, especially after you have re-hydrated them.
After you have re-hydrated them, take out the seeds and gooey stem, and give them a nice chop.
Warm a large pot (like a stock pot) and heat the oil on high. Once the oil is hot add the onion, peppers, garlic, jalapenos, and pasilla chile peppers. Saute for 8 minutes until you have a nice caramelization. You house will be smelling real good at this point!
Gently turn in the ground turkey until browned, about 4 minutes.
Stir in the tomato sauce and tomato paste for about 4 minutes.
Add chicken broth and seasonings. Once combined add the black, pinto, and kidney beans in with their liquid.
Stir and lower heat. Cook the chili uncovered for at least one hour.
Serve with your favorite garnishes.... cheddar cheese, sour cream, oyster crackers, avocados....