This post was actually going to be about weight loss and look where it's taken me....
Anyways.... back on topic. For the past couple weeks we have been really tight on grocery budget. Like $50 a week tight, for a family of four, with a lactose intolerance, and diapers!!! I was worried that this lack of funds would lead to buying crap foods. It was actually the opposite!!!!
Snack foods really give you a lot less for more of your money. I loaded up on bananas and tangerines instead and spent less than I would have on fruit snacks and other kid snacks! We also purchased large bags of frozen vegetables! Frozen veggies can be pretty cheap and you don't have to worry about them going bad!!!
It was hard eating PB and J's everyday for lunch and pasta for dinner but we managed to dress is up a couple nights. You can get pretty creative in desperate times!!
Here is a what our shopping list looked like.... Make sure you do an inventory of what you already have. This helps cut cost and really maximize on what you can make. Sticking to a list helps you stay on budget and I estimated ahead of time the cost.
- Pasta, all sorts.... 3 boxes
- Pasta sauce, 2 jars(we love Classico) Has anyone tried the new creamy spinach one? To die for!
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 2 lbs of ground pork (sale)
- 2 loaves of bread
- Jelly (we had peanut butter)
- 4 pounds of Bananas
- Bag of cuties
- Multigrain Cheerios
- 2 boxes of instant oatmeal
- 2 large bags of frozen veggies (carrots and mixed veggies)
- Juice (for the kids)
- Silk soy milk
- 2 dozen eggs
- Italian Chicken
- lots of pasta
- PB and J's every day
- Oatmeal for breakfast everyday
- Snacked on Fruit